In the We4Authors Cluster project, Funka and its partners will make a joint effort to increase the level of accessibility by default in web authoring tools. By sharing knowledge and experience as well as demonstrating how accessibility features can be built into different kind of tools, we hope to inspire the whole market, focusing on tools used by public sector agencies in the European member states.
The aim is to support web authors, mainly in the public sector, in publishing more accessible from the start. This way, persons with disabilities are included – and the public sector agencies are complying to the Web Accessibility Directive.
The specific aim of the Cluster project is to work together with authoring tools producers in a cluster to:
- Collect and analyse user requirements from web authors
- Analyse how these requirements can be transformed into default accessibility features
- Implement the most prioritised features in different technical environments
- Test with web authors and end users with disabilities
- Document the features and present them in an open repository
- Demonstrate the results to the industry and spread the knowledge
The result of the project will be a set of accessibility by default features free for any authoring tool provider to use.
The project duration is March 2020 to July 2021.
The We4Authors Cluster project is a preparatory action funded by the European Commission. It is building on a pilot project called We4Authors, also lead by Funka.